By Kimberly Wilks, Peer Advisor
It’s that time of the semester again! Dust off your dress shoes, grab your best suit, and brush up your resume because it’s time for Career Expo! On Wednesday February 22nd from 1:00 -5:00 PM, there will be a long list of employers and grad schools here waiting to meet YOU!
Be sure to stop by Toppel beforehand to prepare. Your resume is the paper representation of you and it needs to be spick and span! You can find sample resumes on hireacane.com! Toppel’s Peer Advisors, such as myself, are very excited about helping our peers land their dream job or internship. You’ll definitely want to stop by before the career fair to make sure that you are ready to impress these employers.
Here are six quick tips to remember when working on your resume:
1) Your name should be the largest words on the page. Employers shouldn’t have to search in a tiny corner to find out who’s resume they’re holding. Claim all the hard work that you put in and on that resume!
2) Avoid having paragraphs of information. Use bullet points!!! These will aid in the flow of your resume.
3) Use your experience statements to talk about what you did in the company and include results if possible. Employers are more interested in what you did, rather than what the company did altogether. However, avoid personal pronouns such as I, me, or my.
4) If you don’t have relevant experience, then emphasize the relevant skills that you have gained from the experiences you do have.
5) Find the right balance of information to make your resume look just right. Your resume should not have too much white space but it also should not be packed with information in size 8 font.
6) Last but not definitely not least, be completely honest! This way you can get a position that fits!
Toppel Peer Advisors are here to help! Good Luck Canes!