By Josh Sussman, Peer Advisor
Congrats! Whether you’re an ambitious freshman or you’re a seasoned career fair attendee, you have taken a huge step to improve your networking skills if you attended Career Expo Fall 2016!
After talking with what seems like hundreds of potential employers, you must be pretty exhausted, but going to a career fair is just the first step. What you do to follow-up after Career Expo is just as important as what you did at Expo.
Here are a few steps you need to take after surviving Career Expo:
- This one might seem obvious, but Follow-Up With Employers!
Just like a friendship, you need to make sure you maintain the connection with employers. They met hundreds of other impressive students just like you and the only way they will remember you is by following up! This can be as simple as a short email thanking the employer for their time or connecting with them on LinkedIn and sending them a message. Be sure to send a follow-up message within 24 hours of Expo and make sure you include the following in your message:
- Mention something specific from your conversation with them
- Let them know that you are excited to pursue a position in their company
- Thank them for their time and tell them you are looking forward to future communications
- Organize Yourself
After networking with so many different people at Expo, you should keep track of all your potential job leads. I recommend started a document that has all of the information (Name, email, phone, LinkedIn) that you gathered from each employer that you talked with. Make sure to also include any information you wrote down during your conversation, which you could use in a follow-up email.
- Reflect on Your Expo Experience
Like I said before, whether this was your first Expo experience or you have lots of career experience, there is always room for improvement.
- How well did I prepare for Expo?
- Did I feel like I networked well?
- Did I give my 30-second “elevator speech”?
- What would I do differently next time?
- What did I learn about myself and about my career goals?
Congrats again on attending Career Expo! Just remember if you have any questions or doubts about how to best proceed after Career Expo, don’t hesitate to come into Toppel and we would love to help!